Friday, February 10, 2006

I told my dear friend Davis M. Skankingville that I would post daily. Whadda maroon I was! Yesterday, not 12 hours after this statement, I broke my solemn oath. Of course, all I had to possibly write about was that I watched Six Feet Under for 4 hours. And got fat.

Today almost wound up similar, with "worked for 12 hours" replacing "watched TV for 4", except there are a couple things of (operative word here) mild interest going on:

1) It is Friday and our dear friend Levi has purchased a keg of Guinness and a handle of Dewars, and

2) I just got a bimonthly DJ gig.

I have wanted to DJ for pretty much my whole life, and have never done so... when I was in 6th grade or so, there was some cheap keyboard available with a "scratch pad" that simulated, well, scratching. I asked for it for Christmas. Not getting it was the beginning of years of repression and channeling of my musical predilictions into things like tablature books and band camp. I have owned a few turntables (always 1200's, natch, but never more than one at time), a couple diffferent dj mixers (with only 1 turntable! I'm an ultra-minimal Philip Jeck!), and yes, a copy of an Invisbl Skratch Picklz (sic?) turntablism tutorial. Fortunately, I was kindly denied passage into true "turntablism" aside from watching a few DMC world championship tapes and owning a Mix Master Mike cd... but I've still always wanted to, er, "spin"... just music in that whole "celebrity guest DJ/you don't really need to know about beat matching" kinda way. Now I have my chance. And I am excited. It's on Tuesdays, which will be nice and low pressure, but I will have to be careful not to specifically drive people out of the bar. This is my goal. Updates on its accomplishment forthcoming...

I would love to write more on other mundane subjects, but I've got half a Hot Pocket and 3/4s of a Miller Lite to finish and then must head kegwards. In lieu of personally snapped blurry photos or unwitty commentary, please enjoy the picture of one of my heroes (as of about 9 months ago) Keiji Haino, which I ripped of from this site, which looks eerily similar to mine. Except with better writing. I suppose blogger templates may be the cause of this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home