Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Meatsinge

Illicit web access occured (shockingly and lasciviously!) today. I can't explain the tech side of it but it seems wobbly, with the net occasionaly realizing I oughtn't be here and popping me off. Fortunately my preternatural hacking skills are honed to the point that I regain my footing with no conscious effort. Like Han said to Chewie, "back door? Good idea." And before you get to thinking that network jacking is "wrong", somebody stole a bottle of our laundry detergent. It wasn't anything fancy, but it makes for good excuses to keep the chain alive.

As in everything I'm a good several+ years behind on whatever you might speak of. I just got a Netflix account and some tasty rhinovirus that added pressure points to sinus spots and made horizontal restpostures all kinds of infeasible. In defense of the maintained relevance of Four Star, I notice they have a superior selection of at least Jodorowsky and actually have a copy of The Harder They Come. Now they just need an underground shuttle system as well.

It is October and I am growing a beard and reading Suttree. This is the season of backwoods. I wasn't shitting about those duckboots, either.

Speaking of which, I noticed on the Pitchfork review of some Ann Arbor group called Canada (huh?) they were making Sufjan (won't mention him often, sorry) ties and used the descriptive phrase "Upper Peninsula layers of harmony, cello, Rhodes, harmonica, banjo, melodica, glockenspiel, zither, flugelhorn, sleigh bell, wineglass (crystal), pad (paper), etc. (etc.)". I admit that as a slightly younger-un I was a tad excited at this newfangled Sufjan guy putting a whole song called "Upper Peninsula" on his album. Most facetime my region had ever gotten by a critically acclaimed act, I'd say -- though Weird Al is getting a terrifying number of shoutouts 'cross the 'sphere, and I'm pretty sure he checked in on a county fair or three up there -- and that kinda warmed my lake-effect numbed heart. Of course, that song is about poor-ass K-Mart and Payless shoes shoppers, the kind of thing I tended to avoid after noticing that only clean edit tapes were stocked, but it still had some stuff I *erm* dug. Still, to have the entire region I grew up in now solely affiliated with fey multi-instrumental tweefolk stylee, well, cuts me deep. Especially when it's always done by fuckin' trolls. Of course the whole elliptical thing then happened to me when I realized that Sufjan is now considered NPR tunesmithery, NPR being what I was consistently subjected to during our hour long drives through the bleak snow up there (to get to Payless, natch).

It's enough to make one soil himself with visions of a new world order.

That said it is time for me to make some Tuna Helper. I know that's not as backwoods as the little juice-carton shaped box of "chili" that I have, but I need to save that for lunch tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home