Monday, September 18, 2006

Bossism vs. Flossism // U Be Tha Judge!

Went down to Chicago for a good Vienna frank, had my fill. What the hell are those skinny peppers anyways? Ain't no juice on these hipsters. And the fashion update of my fall, IL(L) edition is thus: boys w/ bookbags rock the tight knee-lengths that the rich gals don'd all summer. I'm glad the gauchos didn't do that.Link

Now where's my effing poncho?

I'd like to point out that the Driftless Pony cubs resorted to the most face-smashing show I've attended in, I dunno, quite some time! Prolly since I saw the Finns rip thru locally, what, a year ago? Taut 'n wire-ee. Live audio is apparently captured, but you'll have to simulate the four day bender yerself. Worth the effort!!!

Next CheckListBox on the menu: That first TVOTR track on th' new "Return to Frito Castle" -- "I was a lover" -- well, is it that they dig William Basinski? Is that a Basinski-loop? I did 15 seconds of research and turned up a resounding "hmm". But I like Basinski and I like dying horns, and damn'd if those dudes didn't kill the horn in a horny enough manner to make me smile. I skip some of the tracks on the CD, or at least consider skipping them, like that one that goes "WOAH-OH-oh-oh" repeat repeat, and the dubious psueduoacapella-w/-fingersnaps thing. I don't actually skip them though, they're still quite alright. And the stuff that's good is really quite good. I think.

If I wasn't under strict attention-blindering at my "job", I would say that I was super glad that Gawker Media Federation and Snarkporium launched their new music blog, Idolator. The world needed something better the crap music blogs that help feed the Pitchfork Perpetual HypeCycle Machine (Stereogum, I glare yer way) and while I'm not sure that they'll provide more tasty info than, say, Cap'n Noz, they'll at least be updated ultra-regularly in tru-pro Gawker style, and appear to be willing to -- as young gunns! -- keep that glorious Gawker snark pointed at just about any of these (to paraphrase them) daisy-chainin' blog barons of the banal.

That said, I was kinda happy to see one of my more fave Madison reviewers of failed weeklys and (if I recall correctly) horrid student newsrags (BOOYAH, fuckers. Thanks for never having enuff content for even 10 minutes of class. Bitter waters!), Hastings Cameron, does a blog thing for one of our local internet media outlets that I used to never read (swear!). Any doubts about his media prowess can refer to his sex-interview (no John Leguizamo) with Ghostface here. Much better than the time the Onion tried asking him a few questions and basically got bitchslapped by nonverbality. My one worry is that he begin to rely too much on the Tom Brehain / XXL blog footnoteclusterfuckery. While it kinda works for them often, and I know he explained it as a method for digressions in one of his introductory posts, in the superfast media of todays blogocracy it kinda feels like other places already have that style on lock. And Kris Ex already uses as many proportionally as David Foster Wallace, so no metaexcuse either. Unless he's already read Everything And More: A Compact History of Infinity, in which case he can sing their praises like a G.F.P. Cantor. Still, though, it is a good look for Madison, whose general blogscape leaves me feeling like everybody learns to interwrite on the Craigslist Rant's & Raves board arguing with racists. So you go, Mr. Cameron.

I would pass you lucky lads on pounds more helpful references to separate the internets eternal chaff from the more Wilford Brimley-approved wheatstuffs. But the internet is way too fucking big already and I've got shelving to put together to hold my ever-precious LPs. So until next time keep that cream cheese on yr knees and read some Octavio Paz. It's grand stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home