Thursday, March 13, 2008

Hemming and Hawing

They call the Irish "Donkeys", or at least so I read in Bonfire of the Vanities, but the obstinacy of a Finn is tried and true as they come; they just stay quieter while drinking the bleak winter away. So it is that my heritage often keeps me from doing lo.gical things such as hemming my damn pants, even when I'm not what you'd call a tall motherfucker and every spring of my life has been a month-long shuffle through ankle sucking muck. Perhaps I'm just content to work for pants money, perhaps I just need to reduce the hem width of my purchases and improve on proper "stacking". No matter! I stay the course, pruning my calves and preserving sock bands as stank tattoos, twisting a lip at the capillary action of cotton in grim denial.

But what really gooses my ass about spring is the immediate reminder that whilst I was huddled, reading ever-so-slowly through books that everyone I aspire to emulate has already polished off and/or dismissed, like, twice, people have actually been accomplishing shit in this town. I find it hard enough to contain the rolling boil in my veins during my first stroll from the bus stop sans parka, unsheathed and translucent and engorged, when I have only an amorphous concept of that nagging sense of non-accomplishment from a good season wasted feeding and loathing, let alone when local folk start posting actual hot trax to their goddam myspace pages. Myspace! The gall. And that I had to locate them via 20jazzfunkgreats! So far away. I stumble, refusing to look at the puddles lest they mock me: "You may be from here, but you are not of here." Good luck at SxSW, say hi to the Siltbreeze camp...

Zola Jesus
Dead Luke

In remembrance of weeks past as I curse the slush of today...

Sheltered Life #3: Bitter Pills for Winter Chills Part 1 Part 2
  • Make a Change... Kill Yourself - Life Revisited - II
  • Magik Markers - Most Beautiful City on Earth - I Trust My Guitar, Etc.
  • Sixteen - Chapel of the Chimes - Hex
  • Electric Eels - Agitated - Eyeball of Hell
  • Bone Awl - Offering to Me - So I Must Take From the Earth
  • Satyricon - Mother North - Nemesis Divina
  • Grey Daturas - Golden Tusk the Endearing - Dawn of the Catalyst
  • Motor Ghost - Golden Promise - A Gold Chain Round Her Breast
  • Flaherty Corsano Duo - Whiskey and Soda - Steel Sleet
  • Dead C - LA Confidential - split w/ Hi God People
  • Birchville Cat Motel - Chi Vampires - Chi Vampires
  • Weakling - Cut Their Grain and Blaze Fire Therein - Dead as Dreams

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home