Saturday, December 02, 2006

Pain in the annual: I arbitrarily rate shit for the rest of the month.

Year-end best-of lists suck. If it matches up w/ your tastes, then you're a sheep, a lemming, a pathetic fuck that uses the term "indie rock" and subcribes to at least one pseudo-edgy glossy rag. Did you know that there is a coffee shop in Madison called "Indie Coffee"? I am torn, the coffee is decent but I truly wish to firebomb the signage. Whatever.

On the other hand, if the list doesn't overlap, then you're an oddish shutin outsider or an obvious know-nothing suburbanite. Freakish beard-growth or watcher of Scrubs. Take your pick.

Since I like dragging out discomfort and engaging in loss of face, I am spending the rest of this month arbitrarily selecting objects, concepts, or some other bullshit that spazzed my mind out this year and telling you all about my lowly obsessions.

First on my list is electronics and tech companies. I have loved these pungent choades for the pure amount of self-satisfaction I have gained watching their recent product launches fail miserably. I've been rooting against the PS3 for about a year for no real reason. I've never owned a PlayStation of any version number, but was more or less neutral towards them. Hell, I rarely played games on whatever obsolete system I owned at the time. The PS3-vs.-Wii matchup got me riled, though. Not because I feel any nostalgia for my heady NES days. I hate those cover bands. I hate those t-shirts. I am haunted by trying to figure out what the point of the Jaws game was when I was a child, or how anybody thought Abadox could be beaten without cheat codes. No. I just wanted Wii to win, for some reason. Sony just seems kinda like some guy with an expensive haircut that pops his collar, y'know? So thank goodness that this seems to have actually happened. The shortish Asian man in Nintendo is trouncing his ass but good (I think). I got nervous by the fanboy chatter bubbling thru my channels 'round the PS3's launch, but I think the numbers are speaking for themselves by now. Oh, and all the people that wrote articles on what a stupid name "Wii" was... fuck off. It is a great name. Not that I'll buy one, I doubt it. That is all.

I was also going to discuss the Zune, but what's the point? This is going to be a weird memory that whatever channel does what VH1 did back when I last saw VH1 will poke fun at in a sub-30 second segment 10 years from now.

Now it's about 2pm and that means time for me to start my Saturday beer-drinking regimine. Goodbye until I rate some more shit in a random manner soon. Purchase for the holidays!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home